Ads 2

Sunday 22 September 2024

My Mom Put My Car Into Her Storage Unit to Punish Me – When I Saw What Else She Was Hiding There, I Went Pale

I craved adventure and freedom, but it came at the cost of my mother’s tears. One day, she put my car in her storage unit to punish me for coming home late. I did what any 17-year-old boy would do. I stole the keys to the unit to retrieve my car, but what I found hidden there shattered my heart like glass.

Do you love your mother? What a silly question to ask! I often dreaded coming home, you know. Mom’s questions fired at me the moment I walked in. “Where were you, Eddie? Why are you late? Bla bla bla!” I couldn’t understand why she was suffocating me with her constant concern. If only I’d known then what I know now, I would’ve given anything to hear her scold me again.

Portrait of a sad teenage boy | Source: Midjourney

It was the autumn of 2021. I was 17, craving adventure and independence. Every day, it was the same routine. I’d barely get my key in the lock before my mom Charlotte’s voice would ring out from inside.

“Eddie? Is that you?”

I’d brace myself, knowing what was coming next. The moment I stepped through that door, she’d be there, arms crossed, eyes narrowed, brimming with tears.

Advertisement

God, not again! I’d roll my eyes.

A teary-eyed woman | Source: Midjourney

“I was worried sick, and you don’t even care. How could you be so irresponsible?”

The questions came rapid-fire, each one making me feel smaller, more suffocated. I’d try to answer, but my words always seemed to fall short.

“I was just out with friends, Mom. We lost track of time.”

“Lost track of time? Eddie, you know better than that. This is unacceptable. You need to start taking me seriously.”

A worried woman | Source: Midjourney

The day everything changed started like any other. I came home late, way past curfew. Mom was waiting in the living room, the dim light casting shadows across her face.

Advertisement

“Eddie, we need to talk about this.”

I sighed, dropping my backpack by the door. “Mom, please. Not tonight. I’m tired.”

“You’re tired? I’ve been up for hours, wondering where you were and if you were safe. I haven’t eaten a thing because I was so worried about you.”

“I’m fine, okay?” I snapped. “Why do you always have to make such a big deal out of everything?”

A frustrated teenage boy frowning | Source: Midjourney

A frustrated teenage boy frowning | Source: Midjourney

She flinched, and for a moment, I saw something in her eyes. Hurt, maybe, or disappointment. But it was gone in an instant, replaced by anger.

“You’re grounded,” she sternly said. “And I’m taking your car keys.”

Advertisement

“What? Mom, you can’t do that!” I protested, but she had already turned away.

“We’ll talk about this in the morning.”

I stomped up to my room, slamming the door behind me. I didn’t know it then, but that would be the last time I’d slam a door in her face.

A boy gaping in shock | Source: Midjourney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads 1